The 10 Radical New Rules That Are Changing American Culture
There are 10 new ideas that are changing America, maybe permanently.
1) Money is a construction. It can be created from scratch. Annual deficits and the overall national debt don’t matter much anymore.
Previous presidents have racked up huge annual deficits, but at least there were concessions that the money was real and had to be paid back. Not now. As we approach $ 30 trillion in national debt and 110% of annual GDP, our elites believe that either permanent zero interest rates make the cascading bond irrelevant, or the larger the debt, the more we will be forced to tackle the necessary redistribution of income.
2) Laws are no longer necessarily binding. Joe Biden has taken an oath to “see that the laws are faithfully carried out.” But he deliberately made federal immigration laws null and void. Some rioters are prosecuted for violating federal laws, others less so. Arrests, prosecutions and trials are all fluid. Ideology rules when a law is still considered a law.
3) Racism is now acceptable. We are defined first by our ethnicity or religion, and only secondarily – if at all – by an American community. The explicit exclusion of whites from college dorms, safe spaces and federal aid programs is no longer controversial. It is unspoken revenge for perceived past sins, or a type of “good” racism.
4) The immigrant is most often preferable to the citizen. The newcomer, unlike the host, is not defiled by the sins of the founding and history of America. Most citizens are currently required to obey quarantine and social distancing rules, stay out of school, and obey all laws.
Yet those who enter the United States illegally do not need to follow these seemingly superfluous COVID-19 rules.
5) Most Americans should be treated like we would treat little children. They cannot be asked to provide identification to vote. The “noble lies” of our elites about the COVID-19 rules are necessary to protect “Neanderthals” from themselves.
Americans deserve to be relieved from the stress of grades, standardized tests, and normative rules of school behavior.
6) The hypocrisy is over. The signaling of virtue is alive. Climate change activists fly in private jets. Social justice warriors live in closed communities. Multi-billionaire elitists pose as victims of sexism, racism and homophobia. It’s what you tell others about how to live, not how you yourself live that matters.
7) Ignoring or perpetuating homelessness is better than ending it. It is more humane to let thousands of homeless people live, eat, defecate and use drugs on the streets and public sidewalks than to green light affordable housing, demand hospitalization of the mentally ill and to create enough public shelters.
8) McCarthyism is good. Destroying lives and careers for incorrect thoughts saves more lives and careers. Canceling Twitter’s culture and reign of terror provides the necessary deterrence.
9) Ignorance is better than knowledge. Neither the statue overturning, nor the name change, nor the 1619 project requires historical evidence or knowledge. The heroes of the past were simple constructions. Undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees reflect degrees, not knowledge. The brand, not what created it, is all that matters.
10) Awakening is the new religion, growing faster and bigger than Christianity. His priesthood is more numerous than the clergy and exercises much more power. Silicon Valley is the New Vatican, and Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, and Twitter are the New Gospels.
Americans privately fear these rules while appearing to publicly accept them. They could still be transient and invite a reaction. Or they are already quasi-permanent and institutionalized.
The answer determines whether a constitutional republic continues as intended or evolves into something never imagined by those who created it.
Victor Davis Hanson is a union columnist. © 2021 Tribune Content Agency. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency.